Saturday 8 October 2011

Tribute to the ‘old’


Shraddha Maheshwari

How many of you have grandparents and old people in your house? How much time do you spend with them? If you are among those who spend very little or no time with them, change your habit today. Don’t forget that old is gold and someday you will be where they are today. The more time you spend with the old, the more knowledge you will gain from them. 

Their life experiences and thoughts are worth their weight in gold. You are among the few lucky ones who can find a treasure trove of knowledge in old people. Don’t let this treasure go unshared. Besides, this is the time when they need you most. When you needed them, they were always there standing beside you in days of joy and sorrow, now it is your time to pay them back as much as you can. They truly deserve everything, your time, attention, love and care.

As  International Day for the elderly was celebrated last week (October 1), I thought it fit to pay tribute to all the elderly for their contribution to their families, society, nations and the world and have picked up a few idioms using the word ‘old.’

Anita is getting her new house constructed and she wants an old hand to do the wood work.
If I am not wrong old and wrinkled hands will not be able to do so much work, she needs new blood. Oh you did not get the meaning. ‘Old hand’ means a person who has a lot of experience in something.

Sheena’s maths’ tutor is an old hand, children come from far and wide to attend his classes.
What is Aditi planning to wear for her farewell? May be, a tight-fit kurta pyjama.
That is an old hat. Why doesn’t she try some dress or may be a saree with an off-shoulder blouse.

Suman was busy with some urgent work when she received an sms joke on sardars.
She grumbled and said: “I am sick of an old chestnut. I think the mobile phones are more of a bane than a boon.” Ritu said that she does not believe in the old chestnut that old friends are forever. “I have met a couple of my old friends who would ignore me just because I am not as successful as they are.”   

Are you fond of music? Amaan and Ayaan Ali Khan play as good music as their father Amjad Ali Khan. They are a chip off the old block.

What do you mean? I mean they resemble their father in character. Oh, this is what you mean.
Rima is as strict a teacher as her mother was. She is a chip off the old block.

Oh, yes, you are right, I have heard some of my students telling me that she is very strict about attendance as well as homework. She does not spare them.

But I think I should spare my readers and finish the column here till the next time.
Happy reading!

No comments:

Post a Comment