Saturday 24 December 2011

Common errors in English


There are peculiar mistakes in English made by Indian students. It is imperative that they should guard against these errors as far as possible, both in writing and speaking.

For example, instead of writing “He was appointed clerk”, “He made Cuttack his headquarter”, “He was made king”, Indian users of English add an unnecessary ‘as’ and write “He was made as a king” “He was appointed as a clerk”, “He made Jaipur as his headquarter”.

 Similarly “What to do?” is not permissible in English. The correct expression is “What am I to do?” Another example of misuse is the word ‘sick’ used for ‘ill’. It is perhaps due to the Hindi word BEEMAR. It is wrong to say “I am sick”. “He fell sick”. Instead we should say “I am ill”, “I fell ill”. The word ‘sick’ can be use as an adjective in this sense, “A sick man”. When used predicatively the word means either ‘vomiting’ or ‘ready to vomit’ or the mental state of ‘weariness’, ‘boredom’, or ‘disgust’. For example, “I am sick of this life”.

 A common error is the use of “the same” for a pronoun (it, them, they, etc.). The sentence “After reading this book you are requested to return the same” will sound better if written as “After reading this book you are requested to return it”. Other examples of misusage are: “He was invited for/at dinner”, “The compartment was over crowded, there was no place there”; “I always travel in second class”; “I have left smoking”; “Though he is poor but he is wise”, “Send this letter on at my address”.

 The correct expressions are “He was invited to dinner”; “The compartment was overcrowded, there was no room there”; “I always travel second class”; “I have given up smoking”; “Though he is poor, he is wise”; ‘Send this letter to my address”.

No comments:

Post a Comment